Friday, September 22, 2006

Well, here goes. Some explanations are needed.

This is the start of a long journey for me - so follow me as I attempt to become the first Englishman to win the Olympic Marathon Gold Medal - and, rather fittingly, I'm aiming for a home victory. Yup - I'm gonna be there on the Mall in 2012 with the Kenyans, Ethiopians, Russians and Chinese struggling and flapping in my wake. (Hope there's a couple of French blokes in tears as well.).

So, today is Day 1 of my five year training programme - which will allow for a seven month taper.

How do I feel? Well, quietly confident I have to say. OK I'm a tad overweight but, hey, who isn't after a summer of barbecues and a World Cup?

My pre-Olympic training schedule slipped a bit this week. Have to confess to having consumed a Ginsters Steak & Onion Pasty, a bag of Sports Mixtures and a breakfast bap from a BP Garage on Monday. On the plus side I bought a bag of salad leaves on Tuesday and I've a bowl of home grown tomatoes in the fridge. I'm going to look at them for a few more days before consuming.

Alcohol has been a thorn in my side for some time now - but I've been modest - if regular - throughout this week. Probably hit my 14 units weekly target on Wednesday. Have reminded myself that a much more realistic approach to consumption is required if I'm to make my first target - a sub 2 hour half marathon this side of Christmas. If I can achieve that it then helps crystalise my target for 2012.

And then all I need to do is run twice as fast in 2012 (OK and twice as far) - and I've got five years to achieve that extra speed.

So, what are my chances in 2012? Well, it might help if you had some idea of my track record to date.

I'm just over 50 - so will still be younger than .... well, lots of people in 2012. I've been running since 2002 and have completed three marathons in that time. I've a best time of just under a day recorded at the Loch Ness marathon last year. Can't remember my time but I know my other half used a calendar rather than a stop watch. Ok - it was 4 and a 1/2 hours but we all have to start somewhere don't we?

Have really stepped up my training this year since my decision to go for 2012. Have only run about four times in the last month due to business pressures but I did manage to complete a 5 miler in Hove last Sunday in what I thought was an impressive 42.15.

What really pleased me wasn't so much my time but the appreciative looks of passers-by as I sped past them. I think I must have won the race because I couldn't see anybody at all in front of me. Mind you it was a bit confusing at the finish. There must have been another race on because the finish line was full of runners for this other race and I have to say they rather took the crowd's attention away from my sprint finish.

So what next? Well I haven't run again this week - I do find I need more and more recovery time these days. But I've decided that I need to start stepping up in distance. I'm not going to bother with these piddling little 10K's though, so I've decided to travel to Remich in Luxembourg for the Route du Vin half marathon on Sunday. I'm travelling with a coach load of like minded indiviudals so I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll also let you know what Luxembourg beer is like too.

Looking at My profile I see that there's a limit on how many words you use - so here's what I would like to have written about myself.

Favourite Movies: Haven't been to the flicks since I saw some Star Wars thing. Was disappointed because I only went to see the return of Mr Spock and was desperately disappointed when he didn't appear. Yep - I thought it was Star Trek.

Other films I can remember seeing?: Some Harry Potter thing - had a great kip. Oh - and Fatal Attraction. That put me off the cinema and scarred me for life. I was living with a Bunny Boiler at the time and went to see this film whilst enjoying a secret affair.

Incidentally, I then married the secret affair.

Music:

Good old rock 'n' roll; 50's, 60's, 70's pop; proper punk; I like Keane, I like the Kooks - and I might even like Muse. But that doesn't stop me liking stuff that's easy on the ear. Rock on Val Doonican!

Oh - and Johnny Cash walks on water.

Books:

At heart a reall nebber (nosey). Hence my love of Biographies. Like a good travel or lifestyle book. And I like to read a genuinely funny read.

Can't wait for Bill Bryson's autobiography.

Keep on tapering.

Ron

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a cash drain now am I?