Monday, October 23, 2006

Time to knuckle down.

It dawned on me this week that this mission is now becoming quite serious. With a little over five years before my debut in the Olympic Games I've really got to knuckle down to some serious training.

There are, would you believe, some people, even within my close circle of friends, that doubt my ability to bring home the bacon in 2012. Those that know Ron the athlete - as opposed to Ron the bloke - will find that hard to believe I know. But I think the time has come now to start walking the walk and not just talk the talk.

As a consequence I decided to do some serious training last week. After my toddle round Amsterdam last Sunday, I kept off the beer and pies - all the way through till about 10 o'clock on Saturday night when, I finally crumbled and sunk a couple pints of Stella and a Beef Chop Suey.

You may recall that target number 1 for me is to get that sub-2 hour half marathon before the end of the year - but the opportunities to do so are becoming fewer and fewer. Having done two halfs in the last couple of weeks I decided that Sunday just gone should be nothing more than a training run - but a training run with a very real and finite mission target.

Yup - Sunday was going to be a 2 hour 10 day - and it was going to be 2-10 come what may. And, do you know, when it boils down to the nitty gritty, you can tell a true athlete. One who does the business when it’s needed.

That's why, on Sunday, in Maidstone, your man Ron here came home in 2-10. Well, to be honest it was 2-09-57. But, to all intents and purposes it was a 2-10-er.

I have a soft spot for Maidstone. It's where a very young Ron ran his first ever race all those years ago - a Piddling 10K it was. I remember it well. Between you, I and the Piebald Pony, there wasn’t a chance on earth of me finishing that pesky run - until, that is, I caught sight of this rather agreeable bottom contained within a pair of black Lycra shorts - and that was it - I fantasised my way round the whole shebang!

Anyway, because of the early start, the Half Share and I decided to pop over to Maidstone on the Saturday night to get a bit of an early kip. Arriving at the hotel we found the place full with some wedding party and they were struggling for rooms for us. The young lady behind the desk said to me "We only have two suites available for you, would you like the bridal?" "No thanks says I, I'll just hold her ears till she gets the hang of it". Well, you would have thought I'd broken wind at a funeral - before you could say 'We're in Kent, where's the big gold ear rings?' we were given the bums rush and left out in the car park with the Half Share giving me the third degree about "not being able to take me anywhere."

So it was a kip in the Allegro in the car park for us.

Sunday dawned and, to be honest, it was a very enjoyable day out - and I'm pleased for the Maidstone Harriers people as well - because my appearance in the race had obviously led to a late surge in entries. To be honest after the spot of bother of the last couple of weeks I kept a low profile - restricting myself to signing a few autographs at the start line and winking at some of the spectators.

Off I set at my pre-programmed pace - and, well, I just kept it up! On and on I went like a well-oiled machine - until Mile 9 that is. Those of you who've done the odd marathon will recognise the situation. You're pottering along and you come across a little of row of kids with arms outstretched looking for a High Five - or, as we were in Bearsted, a "Gimme Six" as they like to call it. So I draw level with these kids and one of them is holding out a packet of fruit pastilles. Just what I needed. I grabbed the tube of sweeties only to be stopped in my tracks by a loud wailing and screaming words to the effect "that mans pinched my sweets". For goodness sake. Memo to parents "DO NOT STICK YOUR KIDS OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE WITH A PACKET OF SWEETS IF THEY CAN'T HANDLE THEM BEING USED FOR WHAT THEY WERE INTENED".

Anyway, to cut a long story short it cost me ten quid to pacify the father and I then had a devil of a job to get back on my pace. But get back I did and crossed the line to an appreciative and knowledgeable crowd in that target time of 2.10.

But I tell you what I'm sick of this weather. So sick, in fact that I'm off to do some warm weather training.

Yup - I'm off to Milan for a spot of R & R, Pasta and Peroni.

I'll let you know what's been happening with my quest for recognition from the Elite Athletes people when I get back.

Keep on tapering.

Ron.

No comments: