Tuesday, January 23, 2007

One foot on the podium

Today is a very significant day indeed for us all.

According to some numpty in the Olympic press office it is exactly 2012 days to the 2012 Olympics. Good God – how many lottery tickets were sold to pay for that stunning piece of information? And so, on this momentous day, I can now put your minds at rest. Start the engraving now chaps – because this kiddie has Gold Medal written all over him!

I had three objectives for the weekend just gone. The first was the latest target in my slight realignment of body shape and mass – target for the week? Two pounds. And how much dropped off? Two pounds chummies! No messing! My second was to stay off the juice again – a feat I managed comfortably and I saw in my seventeenth day of the month without alcohol.

Then, on Sunday I ventured way into Caravan County for the Dartford 10 – my first competitive race of the year. I’d set myself a target time of 95 minutes – a mark I finished comfortably within, eventually strolling over the line in a shade over 93 minutes.

A couple of points about Dartford. First my finishing time should have put me comfortably in the leading bunch but there was deffo some dodgy goings - on because as I passed through the finishing funnel there were a good few hundred runners milling around looking as though they’d run some kind of race. If it was the same race as I ran I can only assume they’d all packed it in half way round.

Sunday was also the day that winter finally arrived. It was a tad parky I can tell you. In fact with the old wind blowing Irishmen across the channel it called for a pretty nifty start to get the old blood pumping. I did manage 9 minute miles on eight of the ten miles – only slowing up for a two minute breather at the end of a tough-ish uphill mile 5; and then I endured a 10 minute last mile up another flippin’ big hill. On the whole though I was pretty pleased with my consistent pacing – and over a distance I hadn’t run for a good few weeks.

There was a decent turnout of Ron fans too and I kept them entertained with the odd bit of Olympic banter and a couple of my Seb Coe riddles – I had them in stitches! They were good enough to leave me alone though as I went through my anal crunches and groin stretches on the start line – indeed there wasn’t a single runner within 20 yards of me as I went through my routine. And I like that. Respect for an Olympian can only help maintain the already strong bond I have with my fans.

Still no response to my letters to Seb, the Sports Minister and the UK Athletics kiddie yet but I expect they have to have my details rubber stamped by some numpty committee or other. In the meantime I’m now looking for a media deal and some PR advice. I thought I’d drop that Max Clifford chap a line – just as soon as he’s finished with that Big Brother girl’s problems.

Saw an interesting article in the Daily Telegraph today (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/01/22/sofit22.xml) which had some young pretty thing doling out advice on what it takes to be a winner. Like me the young girl is an Olympic prospect (although I have to say that I was a touch peeved to learn that she’s already got her lottery funding in place, but that’s an argument for another day). Anyhow this Becky Lyne girlie listed her ‘Top Tips’ for winning in life and sport. Now, how on earth a 24 year old can dish out advice on life is beyond me but I thought it worth comparing her ‘Becky’s Top Tips’ with my own strict training regime – “Ron's Red Hot Recommendations”.

1. Have a goal. Take that as read Becky. Olympic Gold in 2012 is my aim. No more, no less – so, what’s yours Becky? And don’t dare fall for that Podium finish tosh. Its Gold or failure girl.
2. Prepare. She suggests treating yourself to some new kit – did you hear that UK Athletics? Where are my new pumps?
3. Share. Becky says you should tell people about your goal and she’s right. That’s why you and I, dear reader, are in this Olympic dream together. And that’s why Seb and I are the 2012 Dream Team.
4. Start slowly. Never been a problem for this kiddie I can tell you.
5. Add activity to your routine. Now this one gets really bizarre as she suggests, amongst other things ‘Doing some vigorous housework’ or ‘playing with your kids’. Becky – please!! There ain’t no medals for hoovering or Formation Jenga Mixed Doubles are there? Tosh.
6. Enjoy it. Becky – get real. No pain, no gain!
7. Re-fuel correctly. At last, common sense. I recommend Leffe.
8. Have a trigger. Listen to this: “When temptation stands in my way I lift my t-shirt and tap my belly”. I’m intrigued – but I’ll try it the next time I’m in the Rose & Crown Becky and see what happens!
9. Sleep. I like this one.
10. Persevere. You’re speaking sense now girl. Totally agree. And if you can’t persevere then pack it in is what I say.

All in all, there’s a fairly routine week ahead for this Olympic hopeful. I’ll be out pounding the Strasse again this week and I’m looking forward to Sunday when, in addition to a further 2 pounds shed and another five days out of seven alcohol-free, I’m anticipating another sub 95 minute run at the Canterbury 10. In fact, after my Dartford time, I’ll be disappointed not to get down to around 91 minutes.

You look after yourselves this week – it’s going to get chilly.

Keep on tapering.

Ron

No comments: