Thursday, January 18, 2007

Sitting here. Poised. Like a coiled spring.

Well, the weather's been blowing Irishmen across the channel and as I sit here with a right old storm raging it's bringing home to me what it really takes to become an Olympic athlete.

Because, forget the 60 mph winds that are raging; forget the peeing rain; forget the biting cold - some of us kiddies are going to have to brave the lot of it. Today's a 7 mile training run and I'm sat here in my pumps and vest like a coiled spring waiting to venture out.

But no need to be too hasty eh?

The weather numpty on the radio says it should quieten down by 4 pm - so I've told the team to stand easy till half three and we'll revisit the situation then.

I'm feeling fit to run though and, even after a speedy 4 miler last night, the enthusiasm is still there. Only problem is the facial injury that I'm carrying at the moment. All a misunderstanding but it got a bit dodgy down at MFI last night. I'd gone there with the Half Share in the House who wanted to buy a new bed for our middle daughter The Droog. I thought there was another couple of years left in her cot to be honest, but the Half Share seems to think that just because she's 15 she should have something more up to date.

Anyway I'm stood in MFI and I couldn't find where the beds were. After a couple of enquiries went unanswered by the 28 year old YTS blobs these places seem to employ, a rather pretty filly approached me and said 'Do you want bedding?'. Well it just went downhill from there - she got upset, her boss and hubbie got involved and, well let's just say we won't be darkening MFI's doorstep again.

What else has happened? Well, I've finally got round to sorting out my entry and kit for the 2012 marathon.

You can view my letter to Lord Coe here and I'll let you know when I get a reply. http://www.nice-work.org.uk/blog/Letter to Lord Coe.doc.

Whilst I was in 'write' mode I also dropped a note to the UK Athletics bloke to sort out kit and training - have a neb here. http://www.nice-work.org.uk/blog/Letter to Dave Colllins.doc.

Finally - after some suggestions from a couple of Ronners I thought it only fair to offer my services to the Sports Minister. http://www.nice-work.org.uk/blog/Letter to Richard Caborn.doc.

I'll let you know when I get a reply and my kit arrives.

Keep on tapering.

Ron

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't see any coiled springs from where I'm sitting

Anonymous said...

Boing!!