Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Montenegro's Revenge

It had to happen.

I have to admit that, much as I like this place, I've given it some stick. I'm particularly struck by the attitude of the public servants we come into contact with on a daily basis. Every building, be it hotel, a hut in a beach area or just a plain old building site with some derelict property - just has to have a small army of security guards. These guards are not picked for their good lucks, civility or sense of humour either! But it's the buses that really get this kiddie. A 20 seater bus is not a proper 20 seater bus - unless it has a driver, a ticket collector - or two - and an inspector of tickets - or two. 20% of the flippin' seats are taken up by these damned officials!

Anyway, somebody in authority has obviously been overhearing my comments because good old Montenegro really bit your man here on the bum today.

It started innocently enough with a straightforward 5 mile run. Which degenerated into a 4 mile torture trail. The heat just got to me. I was running easily enough - but in 30 degrees plus temperatures. After two stops for a cold beach shower and three water stops I finally gave up and limped back to my beach towel thoroughly overheated, with a stubbed toe and not feeling very well at all.

Spot of lunch should beat that though eh? Wrong! The blessed stuff went straight through me and the rest of the day and evening has just about headed as far south as it could.

So picture the scene. Half Share in the House bandaged up like an Egyptian mummy and unable to walk or to hold anything because of her road injuries. On antibiotics so can't drink. Me - I'm just on Neurofen and limping. Stomach so tender can't drink. Haille-Minogue, the eldest Cash Drainer has earache. On antibiotics. So can't drink. The Sod has sunburnt feet and a stubbed toe. The only fit one amongst the five of us is The Droog - and she's retired early with a headache.

Cracking holiday eh?

Anyway, in catch up mode I thought I'd bring you up to speed with a cracking little event we came across a couple of weeks ago. The Wedding Day 7K is now in its 27th year and commemorates the wedding of Prince Charles and Princes Diana - the race was first run on their wedding day.

It was a Friday night bash and attracted over 700 runners for a very nice run through Bushy Park in London. Now my entry obviously boosted the number of people that bowled up - but imagine my surprise to discover that I wasn't the only Olympian taking part! A woman called Sonia O'Sullivan who has won medals at previous Olympics, whilst representing Ireland - which is a small country near Liverpool - was there. Now she obviously wasn't a proper Irish woman because half way through her career she became an Australian! Imagine that! Anyway despite her now being classified as an Australian she was still wearing shoes when she turned up. And by the left can the gal still run! I decided that chivalry was the order of the day and after introducing myself, offering to share my anal crunch routine and asking her if she fancied a spot of warm weather training with me in Lanzarotte - I decided not to belch on her parade - so I let her win.

Me and the Half Share ran the thing though - and we were absolutely delighted when the organisers presented us with a real three tiered wedding cake. I thought it was a lovely gesture and I was half way through my acceptance and vote of thanks speech when some eejit told me it wasn't an award - but that we'd won the bally raffle!

Anyway a very pleasant run out indeed - and, of course another pb to chalk up.

Anyway - must dash - I need the damned loo again.

Keep on tapering.

Ron

1 comment:

Sarah Elaine said...

Hope you're feeling better.