Saturday, August 18, 2007

Nothing changes

Back to Blighty - after a ten hour journey from Montenegro to Ron Towers which included a 5 hour journey by road to Dubrovnik and a fabulous 2 hour wait at the border. What is it about these Johnny Foreigners? They are all so desperate to join the EU - and what is one of the principles of EU membership? Yup - unhindered travel across borders.

Let me tell you these Croats could't even spell the word 'unhindered'!

Anyway, we eventually arrived at the airport, frazzled and pretty hacked off. Fortunately I didn't have to use the dreaded celebrity phrase "Don't you know who I am?" As soon as I arrived at the check-in - guess what? Yep - free upgrade to Business Travel. Now that's more like it chaps.

So, I had a very comfortable journey back. The Half Share and Cash Drainers were firmly ensconsed in steerage - but, "hey" as I said to them "don't give me grief - just deal with it".

I think my diplomatic approach to what could have been a tricky family situation was spot on. Mind you, I had breakfast on my own this morning.

Anyway, the fun now starts. I've had my warm weather/altitude training - it's now back to reality. Of course, Blighty welcomed us with its traditional open arms - and it's lashing down with rain and cold. But I'm an athlete - so tomorrow sees my first day of cold weather training and I'm due to cycle 30 miles or so to get the old limbs back in use. I'm going to have to disappoint the people of Henfield who, I know, were looking forward to watching me tomorrow - but jet lag, weather lag and a general 'bugger that' lag means I ain't doing no half marathon tomorrow.

But I will be pounding the streets this week prior to a PA at the Rye Summer Classic series on Friday evening - an event organised by my old muckers at Nice Work. Then, next weekend, I'm off with those very same people to that fine city of Bruges for a 35 mile charity walk which they organise to raise funds for a local Hospice.

Phew! the life of an Olympian isn't always a barrel of laughs you know.

Keep on tapering.

Ron

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

It's even colder now - shouldn't you be on your feet adjusting?

By the way, this Haille Minogue is determined to do that marathon in 2009 so you can't stop now or I'll have no one to beat.

xxx