Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mint Spy success


I was due to make a well-overdue personal appearance in Swanley on Sunday. The 4.2 mile Swanley Christmas Caper is one of my many annual trips to Caravan County and my Ronettes certainly look forward to my visit.

Unfortunately they are not made of stern stuff in Swanley and they only went and cancelled the bally thing - they reckon it was cold! Harumph I thought I've not kept my Saturday night tube consumption down to a reasonable level to then not go and run. So, we packed our pumps and hi vis balaclavas, climbed aboard Ernie's Transit, chucked the Half Share in the back with a card table and a deck chair so that she could rustle up some sarnies and set off for Peacehaven. The locals were due to hold their annual Mint Spy 10 Mile Race and I thought it would be a useful run out for me.

Well apart from the fact it was very hilly, very cold and very, well, Peacehaven-ish, I did OK. A time of 1.50.28 put me just in the top 300 - and there wasn't a Kenyan in site.

It was a useful run though just to see if the old pins were still up for a stiff one - that's what the Half Share kept muttering anyway. And it was a useful sign of for me as a competitor before Christmas is upon us. I am the guest celebrity starter at two Christmas events this weekend - in Battle for the Christmas Pudding Dash on Saturday and then in Deal for the Kent Christmas Cracker on Sunday.

If you're around for either of them, feel free to throw a tube at the old man eh?

But its a busy old time for an Olympian at this time of year with sponsors engagements and my commitments to various Ronettes - well I'm on the lash with Ernie next Tuesday. Then it will be Christmas - a time of good cheer and presents for me.

I will try and get more Indialand adventures on here before Christmas - but if you don't hear from me its not because I don't care about you or, indeed, have great man-like affection for you. Its because I'll be in the pub.

As Nicholas Wychell would say - "Have a good un me old Chinese"

Keep on tapering

Ron

1 comment:

ALF TUPPER said...

hear from you I can smell you cuming 200m down wind m8