Thursday, November 25, 2010

Himalaya 100 Mile Stage Race - the importance of camaraderie

I'm quite a perceptive superstar sometimes. And I was percepting quite a few things whilst enjoying my great sub continental adventure. What intrigued me whilst studying the people who made up this merry band of international athletes was how their relationship with each other developed as the days progressed.

There was obviously a bit of awe in the air when I walked in the room - indeed I heard lots of people saying 'awe' when I walked past them. But I was intrigued to see how the different groups of people started to jelly together. They would be looking to each other for lots of help and support over the coming few days and it was important that the whole group of 60-odd athletes got on well right away - which is one of the reasons I declined a VIP room. Running 100 miles is no walk in the park and it needs talent, mental strength, endurance, a decent pair of pumps - and teamwork. So, as the hours progressed towards the start of the race many of my fellow athletes began developing pretty close relationships with potential running partners.

One of our group was a man who I felt a bit sorry for because he lived near Bracknell. Other than that he was nice. He was obviously a little nervous about the race because he kept making small bottom noises every time we mentioned the task ahead. I was beginning to feel a little concerned about him so I was delighted for him when he found himself a little soul mate. He had teamed up with Georgio more or less as soon as we'd landed in Bagdogra in one of those 'eyes meeting across a crowded room' type scenarios. Within a few hours this nice Englishman and the little Italian man with a funny walk appeared inseparable.

They were told off on the first night for running up and down the corridors but once it was lights out, they ambled off in the gloom and I overheard Georgio invite him to his room. I think Georgio was an author or something because I heard him ask my friend if he wanted to go to his room to look at his back catalogue.

In any event it was good to see my friend looking after his new Italian buddy in such a touching way.

Bless.

Keep on tapering

Ron

No comments: