Friday, February 09, 2007

Another week gone, another milestone reached

As we reach the end of our sixth week in 2007 it is quite frightening what us athletes have to put our bodies through. Normal people and women have no idea what a gruelling life we lead. My punishing schedule of fitness training, diet, early nights and some pretty intense psychological sessions would leave their mark on a mere mortal - never mind this elite athlete's body.

Until now I've made it to the ranks of Superstar athlete and media personality by using my own unique training methods - but the progress I've made since Jan 1, using some rather unconventional methods it has to be said, is quite startling. Which just goes to show that you must always be open to ideas from others.

You know I think I've just been too comfortable with my pie and Leffe diet. But since trying this new fangled low-fat, low carb, low protein, low taste, no alcohol, no sweeties just plenty of exercise programme ... guess what? I've lost almost 16 pounds.

That's a pair of twins!

So, now that I'm not running with a wheelbarrow of blobness around my middle I've suddenly discovered a frightening burst of speed which, I tell you what - it must have those old Frenchies and Ethiopians dobbing in their EU subsidies!

But am I complacent?

Not on your Nellie! This kiddie's nothing if not dedicated to the cause. And that cause, need I remind you, is a commitment not just to beat those Frenchies - but to rub their gallic noses in it! So, I'm continuing with the training and diet thing through the rest of this month and next at least. I've decided I've got to fill that wheelbarrow up with a few more pounds of blob - and I've a target of sending another pound a week south right up to my first marathon of the year - that's London on April 22nd. At the moment, I'm something stone 12 lbs - so I'll be something stone 9lbs before the end of Feb; something stone 5lbs by the end of March - and something stone 2lbs come Marathon time. At that point I'll have dropped almost 2 stone - and if that ain't dedication to the cause I don't know what is.

I've a return to Caravan County this weekend when me and the Sod, my youngest, brave the elements for a stab at the Dover Half Marathon - the Sod's taking part in the youngster's run. His training regime of Playstation, Tomb Raider, Tizer, Penny Sweets and crisps should see him through that one! And if you're out and about on Sunday, I can confidently predict the weather. It will be cold and wet and chuffing miserable. How do I know? Simple. It is always cold, wet and miserable for this race. Target-wise I'm still bathing in the euphoria of last weekend's sub 2 hour half. Logic tells me that I should be able to repeat that effort on Sunday - but Dover's not a flat course by any means and I think, twixt you and I, I'll struggle to do so. So, I'm playing safe and aiming for a 2-05 jobbie but if I get sub 2 hour I'll kiss the mother-in-law.

As for the rest of the month, its back to Kent next week for a piddling 10K in Ashford and then the week after I'll be visiting Livingstone's Pit for a return to the Roding Valley Half Marathon.

Away from my punishing Elite Atlete's Training Schedule (EATS) I've a big problem ahead next week - I visit my spiritual home of Belgium on Tuesday and Wednesday for a two day visit to Brussels - and I've a feeling the training might just head south for a couple of days. Certainly this kiddie ain't taking the Belgian Strasse without checking up on me old mucker Leffe - and, of course, travelling Elite Athlete's Class on the Eurostar means a freebie decent full English breakfast!!

I am expecting some progress on improving my media profile next week and you'll not be surprised to know that I'm recruiting the best possible team around me to help mould your man here into a smoothie media personality. I've just fired off a letter to Max Clifford confirming his appointment as my media adviser - I'll stick a copy of my appointment letter here shortly. And, between you and I, I've some exciting news about my TV profile. I think I'm a midge's away from being appointed a captain on Question of Sport now that that Scottish drunk has left to concentrate on losing football matches with his national team. Obviously it's not confirmed yet - but when you see the application I've fired off to Sue Barker you'll be as impressed as I think she'll be.

Well, that's it for now - take it easy with chickens, turkeys and budgies till that Bernard Matthews thing blows over.

Keep on tapering.



Ron

No comments: