Saturday, February 03, 2007

Time to step up a gear (1)

One of the downsides of being a top athlete is the threat of injury or accident. Set yourself a goal of athletic glory and there’s bound to be something – or somebody - waiting just down the Strasse ready to give you a bite on the bum. Indeed the curse of injury is something that has stalked this particular kiddie for some time now and I’ve suffered my fair share of missed opportunities, pain and suffering as I strive for Olympic perfection.

Fortunately I’ve been relatively lucky since beginning to tell you my story last autumn – but I have the feeling that my good fortune could be about to take a turn for the worse.

A worrying niggle on my left shin is starting to concern my medical back-up team (well, my mate Buttocks) and there is a chance that your man here might have to take a little break from competition to give the injury time to heal.

Not!

This kiddie ain’t nothing if not brave, fearless and ready to address whatever challenges fate chucks his way. You see, I know that pain and suffering are just two of the currencies I’m going to find jingling in my Olympic wallet – and I know a little pain now will bring that big Gold Medal gain in 2012.

So, all bets are still on and I’m busy with the mental preparations required for my next tough challenge – my first half marathon of 2007, tomorrow, in Essex. The biggest challenge is, of course, Essex itself. Not only is it a heck of a long way – but its chuffing close to that Bernard Matthews Turkey Bird Flu farm that’s been on the news today! News has just been confirmed that the turkeys have contracted the H5N1 virus. Which is not only a scary virus but also the first illness to be named after a National Insurance number.

Anyway, I’m sure that the people of Great Bentley will turn out in force tomorrow to see me mount an attack on my latest target. I enjoyed a light session down the gym last night and at my weigh-in I’ve seen a further reduction in my blobness – and I’m now almost half way to my target of shedding 28lbs before my first full marathon of the year in London, in April. I’m looking to shove a further 6 pounds south before the end of February and I’ll keep you up to date with my efforts to disappear pound by pound. I also opened the old lungs this morning with a nippy six mile training run – which left the Half Share gasping in my considerable wake and which was needed if for no other reason than to equalise the half pound of choccie I couldn’t resist last night! (That said, I have managed to keep off the old loopy juice with just a couple of glasses to help celebrate the Half Share’s birthday on Wednesday night.)

Time-wise, tomorrow, I’ve set myself a target of a tad over 2 hours and I’ll be chuffed if I’m anywhere under 2 hours 5 mins. That psychologically important sub-2 hour mark will probably remain part of my race preparations for later in the month – and I’ve provisionally chalked in the Dover Half Marathon in a couple of weeks time for an attack on the time – assuming I’m not crocked!

Now, I’ve already said that its time to step up a gear – but I’m not just talking about my performances on the road. The more I think about it, the more I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to step up a gear organisationally.

I’ve had great encouragement from my mate Dave (the head honcho at UK Athletics) – you can see his letter to me here http://www.nice-work.org.uk/blog/UK%20athletics.jpg.

Now, listening to his advice, I’ve decided to expand my team of advisers and I’ll be working hard to put in place the necessary building blocks that I reckon are needed to give me the best possible chance of Olympic glory.
And I’m starting with my media presence.

Basically, I think I need to work harder at my media persona so I’m putting together a team of people to help me achieve a much higher – and much more professional – profile. I’m not messing about either – so, I’ve decided to appoint that Max Clifford bloke to advise me. I’m also considering having a couple of media partners too – I know it might mean having to make room for a couple more stickers on my vest – but hey, ho have you seen Paula Radcliffe’s kit bag? I’m a little unsure of where to go in this respect but I thought I’d start with our own running bible Runners World and I’m also looking at one or two national newspapers to see if I can’t take a few bob of ‘em . This media lark though is all about opportunity – and I'll tell you something cocker - I’m one of the sharpest knives in the box when it comes to opportunity I can tell you. So, I’m also firing off a letter to take over from that Scottish bloke Ali McBeal on Question of Sport. Which as well as bringing me some much needed exposure will also relieve the British public from his incoherent drunken ramblings. Amazing display of judgement from the bloke though – he’s leaving to take a job working for the Scottish National football team – so at least his experience of losing will come in handy!

So, I’ll let you know how I get on with my media work – and once that is all sorted I’ll be turning my attention back to the world of sport as I try for my ultimate objective of the year – to try and secure myself some training partners as I focus on my 2012 training plans. I’ll be looking at some of the arrangements that the second greatest hope for Olympic marathon glory in 2012 has in place and try to persuade Miss Radcliffe’s management that I’m probably a better bet for them. At least I don’t run the risk of screwing up nine months of earnings for them every time I get ga-ga after a few Leffes!

Anyhow - that’s for later – in the meantime, I’ll let you know how Essex goes tomorrow.

You watch out for sneezing birdies now.

Keep on tapering.


Ron

No comments: