Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Still basking

It's early morning in Britain-land and I've just managed to raise myself from my pit. My God do my legs ache!

But, you know, despite the pain, I'm still basking.

And whilst I didn't get too much kip last night because of the aches and pains I did start thinking about this old running lark. Why, for instance did I stay below the radar for so long before being discovered? Just imagine the impact I could have had on British athletics if I'd started my journey to Elite athleticism in my youth?

But here I am, having to deal with my celebrity status relatively late in life - but I think I can deal with it. And do you know why? Because I'm a natural athlete that's why - and because I enjoy what I'm doing..

And I suppose that's what I like to get across to kids when I sign autographs for them - enjoy your sport. Enjoy your running. And, when you're old enough, enjoy a few Leffes after the race!

Here's ten reasons why I like running.

1. You won't go blind running on your own

2. You don't have to hide your running magazines

3. It is acceptable to pay a professional to help you run better

4. Your running partner doesn't get upset about people you've run with before

5. It is acceptable to run with perfect strangers

6. If your regular running partner isn't available she won't mind if you run with somebody else

7. There are no running transmitted diseases

8. Nobody ever says 'What you want to run again? That's twice ....'

9. You're not expected to run with the same partner for the rest of your life

10. Nobody expects you to give up running if your partner goes off the idea.

Ah well. Back to bed.

Keep on tapering.

Ron

4 comments:

JustRun said...

My gosh, I've only read two posts so far and you're killing me! But not to worry, the good kind of killing. Great stuff!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Dawn - Pink Chick Tris said...

I'm with "Justrun". I love your reasons to run. Thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

Ron

Only 10 good reasons to run? You forgot the legs 11 in your summary. Item 11 should be added to read "Runners do it on their feet"

Downhillnut said...

12. Running never causes pregnancy.

13. Finishing sooner than your fellow participant(s) gives you exalted status.

14. Group running is perfectly normal and even encouraged.